This fast-moving tutorial introduces you to OCaml, an industrial-strength programming language designed for expressiveness, safety, and speed. Through the book’s many examples, you’ll quickly learn how OCaml stands out as a tool for writing fast, succinct, and readable systems code.
Real World OCaml takes you through the concepts of the language at a brisk pace, and then helps you explore the tools and techniques that make OCaml an effective and practical tool. In the book’s third section, you’ll delve deep into the details of the compiler toolchain and OCaml’s simple and efficient runtime system.
- Learn the foundations of the language, such as higher-order functions, algebraic data types, and modules
- Explore advanced features such as functors, first-class modules, and objects
- Leverage Core, a comprehensive general-purpose standard library for OCaml
- Design effective and reusable libraries, making the most of OCaml’s approach to abstraction and modularity
- Tackle practical programming problems from command-line parsing to asynchronous network programming
- Examine profiling and interactive debugging techniques with tools such as GNU gdb