This is where iOS 5 By Tutorials comes in! The goal of the book is to help intermediate and advanced iOS developers get up-to-speed with the APIs introduced in iOS 5 in the quickest and easiest way – via tutorials!
Updated for iOS 6. This new second edition is fully up-to-date with iOS 6 and Xcode 4.5. Although the book focuses on APIs introduced in iOS 5, the chapters have been updated to work on iOS 6, use Modern Objective C syntax, and more.
This book is for intermediate or advanced iOS developers, who already know the basics of iOS development but want to upgrade their skills to iOS 5.
iOS 5 by Tutorials Volume 1 covers the following APIs:
- ARC: Learn how to successfully migrate to ARC – and worry a lot less about memory management.
- Storyboards: Learn how to make your apps more quickly with the new Storyboards feature.
- iCloud: Learn how to store your app’s data in the cloud and share across devices.
- GLKit: Learn how to use GLKit to make OpenGL ES 2.0 programming much easier.
- UIKit Customization: Learn how to completely customize the look and feel of your apps.
iOS 5 by Tutorials Volume 2 covers the following APIs:
- Twitter Integration: Learn how to use the new built-in Twitter integration support in iOS 5.
- Newsstand: Learn how to make a magazine-style app that is integrated with the new Newsstand app.
- UIPageViewController: Learn how to make your view controllers transition with page curls.
- Turn-Based Gaming: Learn how to make turn-based games easily with the new Game Center API.
- Core Image: Learn how to use the new Core Image framework to apply filters to your app’s images.
- View Controller Containment: Learn how to contain view controllers inside others – the right way.
- Working with JSON in iOS 5: Learn how to use the new built-in JSON parsing and writing support.
- UIKit Particle Systems: Learn how to make neat particle effects in UIKit.
- Using the iOS Dictionary: Learn how to integrate the iOS 5 dictionary directly in your apps.
- New AddressBook APIs: Learn about the new social profile, vCards, and more.
- New Location APIs: Learn how forward and reverse geocoding just got a lot easier.
- New Game Center APIs: Learn about the new notification banner, player photos, and more.
- New Calendar APIs: Learn about the new calendar chooser and custom calendars.