This is the second edition of ‘Nmap 6: Network Exploration and Security Auditing Cookbook’. A book aimed for anyone who wants to master Nmap and its scripting engine through practical tasks for system administrators and penetration testers. Besides introducing the most powerful features of Nmap and related tools, common security auditing tasks for local and remote networks, web applications, databases, mail servers, Microsoft Windows machines and even ICS SCADA systems are explained step by step with exact commands and argument explanations.
The book starts with the basic usage of Nmap and related tools like Ncat, Ncrack, Ndiff and Zenmap. The Nmap Scripting Engine is thoroughly covered through security checks used commonly in real-life scenarios applied for different types of systems. New chapters for Microsoft Windows and ICS SCADA systems were added and every recipe was revised. This edition reflects the latest updates and hottest additions to the Nmap project to date. The book will also introduce you to Lua programming and NSE script development allowing you to extend further the power of Nmap.
What You Will Learn
- Learn about Nmap and related tools, such as Ncat, Ncrack, Ndiff, Zenmap and the Nmap Scripting Engine
- Master basic and advanced techniques to perform port scanning and host discovery
- Detect insecure configurations and vulnerabilities in web servers, databases, and mail servers
- Learn how to detect insecure Microsoft Windows workstations and scan networks using the Active Directory technology
- Learn how to safely identify and scan critical ICS/SCADA systems
- Learn how to optimize the performance and behavior of your scans
- Learn about advanced reporting
- Learn the fundamentals of Lua programming
- Become familiar with the development libraries shipped with the NSE
- Write your own Nmap Scripting Engine scripts