Database administrators and developers spend years learning techniques to configure their PostgreSQL database servers for optimal performance, mostly when they encounter performance issues. Scalability and high availability of the database solution is equally important these days. This book will show you how to configure new database installations and optimize existing database server installations using PostgreSQL 9.6.
You will start with the basic concepts of database performance, because all successful database applications are destined to eventually run into issues when scaling up their performance. You will not only learn to optimize your database and queries for optimal performance, but also detect the real performance bottlenecks using PostgreSQL tools and some external tools. Next, you will learn how to benchmark your hardware and tune your operating system. Optimize your queries against the database with the help of right indexes, and monitor every layer, ranging from hardware to queries. Moving on, you will see how connection pooling, caching, partitioning, and replication will help you handle increasing database workloads.
Achieving high database performance is not easy, but you can learn it by using the right guide—PostgreSQL 9.6 High Performance.
What You Will Learn
- Learn the best practices to configure your PostgreSQL 9.6 database for optimal performance
- Write optimal queries and techniques to detect performance issue in queries
- Fine tune the performance of your queries using benchmarking and indexing techniques
- Ensure high performance and a highly available database using the scaling and replication techniques
- Discover how to make informed speed and reliability trade-offs
- Handle increasing database workloads without any hassle
- Use monitoring insights to continuously rework the design and configuration for best performance