Core Java® has long been recognized as the leading, no-nonsense tutorial and reference for experienced programmers who want to write robust Java code for real-world applications. Now, Core Java®, Volume II—Advanced Features, Tenth Edition, has been extensively updated to reflect the most eagerly awaited and innovative version of Java in years: Java SE 8. Rewritten and reorganized to illuminate powerful new Java features, idioms, and best practices for enterprise and desktop development, it contains hundreds of up-to-date example programs—all carefully crafted for easy understanding and practical applicability.
Writing for serious programmers solving real-world problems, Cay Horstmann deepens your understanding of today’s Java language and library. In this second of two updated volumes, he offers in-depth coverage of advanced topics including the new Streams API and date/time/calendar library, advanced Swing, security, code processing, and more. This guide will help you
- Use the new Streams library to process collections more flexibly and efficiently
- Efficiently access files and directories, read/write binary or text data, and serialize objects
- Work with Java SE 8’s regular expression package
- Make the most of XML in Java: parsing, validation, XPath, document generation, XSL, and more
- Efficiently connect Java programs to network services
- Program databases with JDBC 4.2
- Elegantly overcome date/time programming complexities with the new java.time API
- Write internationalized programs with localized dates/times, numbers, text, and GUIs
- Process code with the scripting API, compiler API, and annotation processors
- Enforce security via class loaders, bytecode verification, security managers, permissions, user authentication, digital signatures, code signing, and encryption
- Master advanced Swing components for lists, tables, trees, text, and progress indicators
- Produce high-quality drawings with the Java 2D API
- Use JNI native methods to leverage code in other languages
If you’re an experienced programmer moving to Java SE 8, Core Java®, Tenth Edition, is the reliable, practical, and complete guide to the Java platform that has been trusted by developers for over twenty years.
Look for the companion volume, Core Java®, Volume I—Fundamentals, Tenth Edition (ISBN-13: 978-0-13-417730-4), for foundational coverage of Java 8 language concepts, UI programming, objects, generics, collections, lambda expressions, concurrency, functional programming, and more.