Through this guide’s carefully constructed explanations and examples, you will develop an understanding of Swift grammar and the elements of effective Swift style – all thoroughly revised for Swift 5.3 and Xcode 12.
Based on Big Nerd Ranch’s popular Swift training and its well-tested materials and methodology, this guide teaches concepts and coding through hands-on exercises. You will explore Swift features in Xcode playgrounds, and you will end by building sample apps for the command line and for macOS and iOS.
What you’ll learn:
- Organize data with the common standard library collection types.
- Handle errors with the throw/catch pattern.
- Define custom enumerations, structures, and classes.
- Understand object initialization, lifetime, and memory management.
- Deal with the absence of values using the Optional type.
- Write flexible code with protocols, extensions, and generics