Up to date for Kotlin 1.5
Save Data on Android!
Persisting data has always been a fundamental part of any app. Saving data locally or remotely with modern techniques for synchronization allows your app to always be up-to-date, reactively presenting fresh data.
This book is for intermediate Kotlin or Android developers who want to know how to persist data using the standard Android APIs, the Jetpack DataStore mechanism, the Room Android Architecture Component or Google Firebase’s offerings.
Topics Covered in This Book
- Persistence with Android SDK: Learn how to manage files, SharedPreferences and SQLite databases using the APIs the Android platform offers by default.
- Jetpack DataStore: Learn how to persist simple data by using key-value pairs. This is Google’s new and improved solution for saving data. In this book, you’ll learn basics about Preferences DataStore and how to migrate from SharedPreferences.
- Using Room: Room is one of the most important Google Architecture Components. It allows you to manage entities and relationships using classic Object-Oriented principles. In this book, you’ll learn everything you need to store data and run queries on top of it.
- Managing relationships with Room: A database has entities and relationships. In this book, you’ll learn how to design your database and manage relationships both eagerly and lazily.
- Managing and testing migrations: Every app evolves over time. Here, you’ll learn how to manage migrations with Room and how to test them properly.
- Firebase Realtime Database: Google provides tools to manage data both locally and remotely through the Firebase platform. With the Firebase Realtime Database, you can manage and keep data in sync, simply and efficiently.
- Cloud Storage: Another option Google provides is Cloud Storage, which lets you leverage all the power of Google’s infrastructure to manage your data and run expensive queries.
Who is this book for
This book is for intermediate Kotlin or Android developers who want to know how to persist data using the standard Android APIs, Jetpack DataStore, the Room Architecture Component or Google Firebase.
Concepts covered in this book
- Persistence with Android SDK
- Saving data with Jetpack DataStore
- Using Room
- Manage relations with Room
- Managing and testing Migrations
- Firebase Realtime Database
- Cloud Storage