FinOps brings financial accountability to the variable spend model of cloud. Used by the majority of global enterprises, this management practice has grown from a fringe activity to the de facto discipline managing cloud spend. In this book, authors J.R. Storment and Mike Fuller outline the process of building a culture of cloud FinOps by drawing on real-world successes and failures of large-scale cloud spenders.
Engineering and finance teams, executives, and FinOps practitioners alike will learn how to build an efficient and effective FinOps machine for data-driven cloud value decision-making. Complete with a road map to get you started, this revised second edition includes new chapters that cover forecasting, sustainability, and connectivity to other frameworks.
- The DNA of a highly functional cloud FinOps culture
- A road map to build executive support for FinOps adoption
- How to understand and forecast your cloud spending
- How to empower engineering and finance to work together
- Cost allocation strategies to create accountability for cloud and container spend
- Strategies for rate discounts from cloud commitments
- When and how to implement automation of repetitive cost tasks
- How to empower engineering team action on cost efficiency