Clear, Concise Guide to the Core Language and Libraries–Updated through Java 17
Modern Java introduces major enhancements that impact the core Java technologies and APIs at the heart of the Java platform. Many old Java idioms are no longer needed, and new features and programming paradigms can make you far more effective. However, navigating these changes can be challenging.
Core Java for the Impatient, Third Edition, is a complete yet concise guide that reflects all changes through Java SE 17, Oracle’s latest Long-Term Support (LTS) release. Written by Cay S. Horstmann–author of the classic two-volume Core Java–this indispensable tutorial offers a faster, easier pathway for learning modern Java.
Horstmann covers everything working developers need to know, including the powerful concepts of lambda expressions and streams, modern constructs such as records and sealed classes, and sophisticated concurrent programming techniques. Given the size and scope of Java 17, there’s plenty to cover, but it’s presented in small chunks organized for quick access and easy understanding, with plenty of practical insights and sample code to help you quickly apply all that’s new.
- Test code as you create it with JShell
- Improve your object-oriented design with records and sealed classes
- Effectively use text blocks, switch expressions, and pattern matching
- Understand functional programming with lambda expressions
- Streamline and optimize data management with the Streams API
- Use modern library features and threadsafe data structures to implement concurrency reliably
- Work with the modularized Java API and third-party modules
- Take advantage of API improvements for working with collections, input/output, regular expressions, and processes
- Learn the APIs for date/time processing and internationalization
Whether you’re an experienced developer just getting started with modern Java, or have been programming with Java for years, this guide will help you write more robust, efficient, and secure Java code.